Certainly its self serving. More importantly, it hurts the kids.

School kids never use more than a few applications, mostly a word processor
and browser with a few learning tools. Newer Windows seem crowded with
toys. To learn how to program, unless you use QBasic, you need to buy more
M$ software. This settlement is like giving free cigarettes to schools as
part of the tobacco settlement.

Linux is now better for schools. It is a multi-user system. Programming
tools are included. Advanced learning tools are also included. There are
several office applications to choose from. And it is already free.

The complex configuration options for Linux can make most people, including
me, feel stupid. But we need not ask poor kids to install and configure
Linux, just use it.

Linux works better on older systems, too. This allows schools to save big
money on hardware costs.

If poor schools want computers with useful software, this settlement is all
wrong. But schools don't listen to parents anyway. If it sounds like free
money, they're for it.