> Just kinda curious if anyone has ever tried installing RedHat 7.1 or 7.2
on a
> Compaq Proliant 2500? Its kinda of funky, when i just try to go right into
> setup I get a err message saying I don't have enough ram. Well i try the
linux
> mem=256M at the boot: prompt and that will cause a kernel panic cuz it
can't
> find the root dev. So I am kinda at a loss. Oh yeah happens when I try to
boot
> off either the CD or a boot disk. I have yet to try 7.2 but am guessing
that I
> am going to run into the same problem. Oh well thanks.

I encountered this on a Compaq ProSignia 300.  Are you perchance using an
add-on PCI IDE hard-drive controller?  If so, does the system detect a
different amount of memory on boot depending on whether the card is in there
or not?

After tweaking the BIOS options for days, the only way I found to get around
this inexplicable resource conflict was to ditch the IDE card and go with
the built-in SCSI controller.   I even searched the linux kernel mailing
list for patches, no luck.

--
Carl Patten