Jeremy,

>>> jshawley at SGI.com 11/21/01 03:30PM >>>
>I'm not trying to be flame bate here, but I think for a real comparison, a
>person needs good experience on both linux and IRIX. And seeing that I do
>support for SGI, and have a long history with linux, I think my opinons on
>this subject hold a bit more water.

I am glad you have this much self confidence.
Observing the way you treat someone who seems to be
attempting to giving IRIX a fair shake, especially
considering you are obviously an IRIX proponent,
really reduces my confidence in your opinion,
however much water it holds.

>If you are refering to the demo you had at the sgi office, the system you
>were looking at was over 4 years old. I think a better undrstanding of how
>graphics hardware works would be a good class to take. How you can even
>compare a single nvidia card to an onyx 3000 is behond me.

It is interesting to see a suggestion for someone
else to 'take a class' from someone who can't spell,
or at least provide useful information on the topic
themselves. I can't spell either, but I didn't say, in
effect, "Hey Carl, take a class".

>I don't think that linux will ever be
>able to touch IRIX in its stability and scailability, but linux has many
>things that IRIX does not. IRIX has lost in the UNIX desktop wars, but as a
>highend server and visulation platform, you can't touch it.

Jeremy, you are an SGI partisan, and that's OK.
Some people are not, and that's OK too.
I, for one, am not interested in a highend server
and visualization platform, but my needs are
meager and few. And, since I don't work for SGI,
I am free to have higher aspirations for Linux than
you, it seems.

>>On Wednesday 21 November 2001 10:40, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>>as for Irix, after playing with it for a few hours, my thoughts so far are:
>Sorry for being
>such a ass about much of this, I just get tired of the uneducated trying to
>educate the uneducated. If you don't know something, than just admit it.

Please stop being an ass. He did admit it, or at least it was
pretty plain to me that he wasn't professing to be a IRIX pro
after 'playing with it for a few hours'. SGI and IRIX would be
much better served if you pointed out misinformation in a
more dignified and diplomatic tone. My 2 cents.

Have a great turkey day,

Troy

P.S. - Carl, thank for the point by point. Shorter
is sweeter.