Wow.

I don't know if anyone else has played with these, but I'm having a
lot of fun.

I finally had reason to go look for a new laptop.  I looked at the
TuxTops, the IBM's that everyone's been going on about, the VAIO,
Dell, and some weirder and cooler and lamer and whatever.  There are
too many models on the market, too many of which are functionally
equivalent to each other.

The brushed magnesium case with a blue drive indicator light and hp logo
under the screen make this thing look like Star Trek: TNG, in real
life.

Tiny -- 3.7 lbs, even with the dilithium crystals inside.

I went cheap and only got a 7.5GB drive, 500MHz Celeron, and 128 MB.
12.1" screen at 1024x768.  $874 with shipping, no expansion dock.

There's a really killer site at

http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/projects/omnibook/details.php?MODEL=500

and really good Linux support.  (He's almost put together a modified
Debian distribution -- custom boot disks, modified packages that are
ready to run, etc...)

I'm installing right now, and now trouble so far.  You can load them
up with all sorts of doo dads (expansion base, 2 extra batteries
therein, or drives and what have you...), but stripped it's still a
heck of a machine and cheap and pretty and cool and sleek, and ...

I should just put the blow by blow on the web.

--
I used to like HP before computers, and once I even liked Compaq,
but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.