I think it's totally self-serving and counter productive.  Redhat made a
offer that they will provide free software and support to the schools if
Microsoft provides the hardware.  This makes some pretty good sense to
me.  I guess you could argue that it might confuse kids to have to use
different operating systems (Linux/Windows/Mac) but I think it would
make kids more flexible and knowledgeable which is really the highest
object of education.  (My 4 yr old daughter knows how to use *my* Redhat
system pretty well.)
Brady