On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Joseph Key wrote:

> The big advantage of screen is you can use the terminal from anywhere. If
> the remote terminal crashes and you were in screen, you can log back in and
> reattach.  Then pick up right where you were.  Also if you have an xterm or
> vc open at home running screen and you logon remotely. You can detach the
> screen process from the local terminal and attach it to the remote terminal.

This is all well and good, but I am not exactly one to leave shell
processes lying around to pick up later. I even (gasp) tend to log out
at night when I leave work or otherwise stop using the computer for
hours at a time (like sleep).

I find that leaving things like editing sessions open for long periods
of time discourages good habits like saving work, and CVS commits. Same
goes for games, mail sessions, news sessions, web browsers &c.

I know that other people tend to keep a lot of "context" in open xterms
or screen sessions or emacs buffers, but I just can't understand how (or
if) most of them keep it straight.

--
Daniel Taylor