On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 08:42:36AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> This is not true though.  That's what the initrd (Initial Ramdisk) is
> for.  The initrd image is loaded into memory before the kernel, and
> when the kernel boots, it loads modules from the initrd image (which
> is ext2, and yes I have ext2 built into the kernel).  Mandrake makes
> reiserfs as a module, and since it's loaded into their initrd image,
> I'm able to boot fine with it.
>
> But for some reason when compiling a new kernel, and making a new
> initrd image, I cannot boot.

You aren't, by chance, using a vanilla kernel and trying to boot a
cramfs image, are you?  AFAIK, the vanilla kernel cannot do this.  I've
tried multiple times, but I don't know all the pieces one must put
together to do so.  Debian's images have a cramfs-initrd patch stuffed
somewhere in the *.diff.  My plan was to suck the current
kernel-source-2.4.12 into CVS, then do the cvs-upgrade with the vanilla
source.  That way the patch will live on and hopefully be corrected
w/the new upstream.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD