On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 01:23:58PM -0600, Jamie Seeman wrote:
> I've been working on tightening my box down, and I was wondering what
> rpc.statd is and does. I found it listening on port(s):

Wonder of wonders...

rpc.statd(8)                                         rpc.statd(8)

NAME
       rpc.statd - NSM status monitor

SYNOPSIS
       /sbin/rpc.statd [-F] [-d] [-?] [-n  name ] [-o  port ] [-p
       port ] [-V]

DESCRIPTION
       The rpc.statd server implements the  NSM  (Network  Status
       Monitor) RPC protocol.  This service is somewhat misnomed,
       since it doesn't actually provide active monitoring as one
       might  suspect; instead, NSM implements a reboot notifica­
       tion service. It is used by the NFS file locking  service,
       rpc.lockd,  to implement lock recovery when the NFS server
       machine crashes and reboots.

Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD