You didn't state that you were using a dumb terminal, but everyone that
responded seemed to assume so.  If you're not using a dumb terminal, I
suggest switching to a different virtual console (alt-F1, alt-F2, ...
alt-f8) or (better) running Xwindows and switching to a different xterm/rxvt
window.  The other methods are much more arcane, albeit very useful when
using a dumb terminal.

Mike