On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:34:51AM -0600, Simeon Johnston wrote:
> I have been wondering about something lately and can't figure it out.
> How do I background a process, say a kernel compile, so I don't have to
> sit there and watch it i.e. log in - start process - log out - log in
> later - find process done and everyones happy.
>
> How is this done?

If you know in advance that you want to do this:

$ nohup somecmd &

If you're in the middle of it and get bored:

$ somecmd
<wait>
<wait some more>
Ctrl-Z
$ bg 1

(Ctrl-Z puts the job on hold and you can then either use fg to
continue in the foreground or bg to continue in the background.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery