On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 09:22:03AM -0600, Ben Stallings wrote:

> However, I've never had a cell phone of my own before, nor have I ever used
> one with a modem.  Am I fooling myself to think that I'll be able to get a
> data connection in rural areas?  AT&T OneRate claims to cover the whole
> eastern US (which is where I'll be) with a few exceptions in the Appalachians
> (where I won't be).  Is their coverage sufficient for data transfer?  Speed
> is not a major issue as long as I can actually send and receive mail.

My experience has been (not a lot, and I don't know if we're talking
about the same type of cell phones) that no matter what anyone says,
you won't know until you get out in the field.  Things like battery
strength and weather conditions can affect reception, so the only way
to know for sure is to try.

I'm sure you'll get reception some, probably most of the time.  I'd
bet dollars to donuts that you have at least one time when you can't
get a signal.

But, hey, you want an adventure, right? :)

--
I used to like HP before computers, and once I even liked Compaq,
but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.