On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, Mike Bresnahan wrote:

> Could someone explain to me in a nutshell how 10mb and 100mb co-exist
> happily on the same ethernet?

I haven't read all my e-mail yet, but in a nutshell here's how a switch
works:

You have 2 10Bt ethernet in ports 1 and 2.  You have 2 100Bt ethernet in
ports 3 and 4.  If port 4 wants to transfer a file to port 3, it
negotiates at the highest possible speed on the send (100 Mb).  If port 2
wants to send to port 1, it negotiates at 10 Mb.  The nice thing about a
switch is that even if you're doing a massive transfer between ports 1 and
2, ports 3 and 4 are sitting idle.  You can move files between 3 and 4/2
and 1 simultaneously.

Hope that helps.

-Brian