> Also, since light pollution is such a problem near cities, I wonder if that
> pollution is mostly around a particular wavelength.  If so, would it be
> possible to make a filter to look through that would not pass a particular
> range of wavelengths?  I'm no physics expert, but something like this might
> be possible to improve the visibility of objects the sky near large cities.

yes, it's possible to filter out some wavelengths of light pollution.
problem is that there are a lot of different wavelengths to filter out,
depending on what kind of light pollution. High-pressure sodium,
low-pressure sodium, mercury-vapor, household incandescent, and all the
varieties of 'neon' each give off their own range of wavelengths. So if
you're near high-pressure sodium highway lights, you'll have a different
problem than if it's your neighbor's million-watt bug zapper.
	there was a really good article in Astronomy magazine about the
subject, quite a few years back (like 10 years ago, when I was still reading
it). try looking it up in the library.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer