* Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [011117 00:40]:
> Quoting Scott Dier (dieman+tclug at ringworld.org):
> > I cant wait to get off of sprintpcs, get a gprs/bluetooth phone, and
> > have the palm bluetooth addon after I finish out a year of CDPD service
> > per my at&t wireless contract. (I use it to read sites on the way to
> > work, slashdot on the bus!)
> Woah. What provider gives the above? I mean what company?

Right now I've got a novatel minstrel CDPD modem hooked into a Handera
330 Palm Pilot. (www.novatelwireless.com, www.handera.com)  The CDPD
service is from AT&T Wireless Data Services for $30/mo flat rate.
(http://www.attws.com/bus/sm_biz/ps/data_serv_main.jhtml)
(its $54.99 for laptops, suck.)

I currently use Handspring's Blazer 2.0 browser.

My next generation in about a year or so is going to be getting a GPRS
phone such as the Motorola T193, which does GPRS but supposedly will
have bluetooth in the future.  My *hope* is that I can use bluetooth
from the palm to the phone to interact over GPRS.  The Palm platform
will have a SD/IO bluetooth card this winter for $150.  The phone is
available via voicestream wireless.

Motorola has said they will ship bluetooth add-ons for their phones, but
I'm not sure which ones yet.

So in theory, I should be able to pull out my palm, and interact with
the network while my phone stays in my pocket.

(www.voicestream.com,
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/t192.html,
http://canada.motorola.com/asp/english/pcs/bluetooth.asp,
http://www.palm.com/roe/about/pr/0106072.html )

(the last link has a paragraph outlining this also)

Supposedly SprintPCS is going to do 144kbps next year sometime also, so
perhaps I'll stay with sprintpcs.  I've got until January/Febuary to
figure it out.

I might break my AT&T contract if its not horribly bad either, if I can
get a data plan for one of these phones for a palm for 5-10MB for a
decent price. (one yr contracts suck)

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

So I ran up to him, and the exchange went something like this:
Me: Oh my god! You're Larry Niven!
Him: Oh my god! You're Wil Wheaton!
	-Wil Wheaton, in a Slashdot interview