Quoting duncan (duncan at sodatrain.com):
> **What sort of response time can i give my clients if they are having
> network problems, or any problem for that matter.  Do i set thier
> expectations that ill call with in 2 hrs, and go from there? Maybe show
> up within 24 hrs (presuming metro area clients)

Most of these questions are "easy".

The faster the client wants you to respond, they more you charge. Gotta watch
out for the 2 client call problem. :-(

> **I need to think about my availablity as a consultant.
> 1. what hours a day am i avail.

You want a reasonable work life and a resonable personal life. Your clients
want (would like it at least) you watching their back 24x7. Again, charge for
the coverage and the response time.

> 2. whats my weekend work policy?

Yes.

> 3. Evening policy?

Yes. :-)

> 4. What do i do for vacation

You don't.

> 5. What if im sick.

You can't.

The answer are quips, but they all have a ring of truth to them. When you are
small you have to be nimble and service your clients better then your
competition.

> If i advise someone on what hardware / software to buy, how much
> responsibility do i assuem when it doesnt work, or has problems?  prob.
> quite a bit.

You assume all responsibility or your client will find someone who SAYS they
will take 100% responibility. There are lots of companies that says whatever it
takes to get the business, most it's just lip-service. Give the lip-service,
charge accordingly so you can deliver on -all- promises.

> What sort of equipment do i need?
> laptop
yes.

> cell phone
yes.

> desk somewhere, with office supplies
no. I can and do "live" on my laptop.

Gotta have imap-ssl, smtp-auth, for secure email back home.

Gotta have efax/hylafax for faxes

Gotta star office to read the MS documents.

A very large cd holder, with distro, updates, your utils.

A BBC.

I can be offsite for weeks using the above tools.

> computer 'toolkit' [crimper, cat 5 clips, screwdrivers...]

yes. Belkin kit. We all have them at Real Time.

> What are other consultant/tech support places around the TC area
> charging per hour...

Each person and Real Time has a variable rate depending on what skill set is
being applied.

We have never been coy about pricing at Real Time. We state we are not the
cheapest ISP, nor are we the cheapest consulting shop, nor do we want to be
either of those.

We charge a fair price for very skilled people to complete your projects on time
and on budget gibing excellent service.

<ok you made me sound like a sales person! you owe me!! :-0>

Hmmm, a first BoF could be, "How to be a great Linux consultant"

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500