On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 11:13:42AM -0800, Paul Harris wrote:
> I can't believe I can't find the information for this, but... I run
> Debian/Woody, and would like to upgrade the kernel (as part of
> learning about Linux).  I'm happy to stick with 2.2.x kernel at the
> moment.  The problem is I think there is a way to do this
> automagically via the gift of apt-get, but I can't find how anywhere.
> I know I could compile my own, but I'd rather do it the easy way for
> now.

Here's what I do.

First, make sure you have "kernel-package" installed.  This is the
Debian kernel package build utilities.  It allows you to take any kernel
tree and build an installable Debian package from it.

Download the kernel tree you want to build and any patches you want to
add.  Unpack, patch, and configure.

Now, cd to the top of the kernel tree, often called "linux".

su to root

run `make-kpkg kernel_image`

After some time, a .deb package should show up in the directory just
above this one.  Just install, double check your boot manager (lilo) and
reboot.

Additional trivia

running 'make-kpkg targets' shows you what other kernel-related packages
you can build with this script.

Enjoy,

Nate