Actually, compiling your own is quite easy.

Basically, just get the source, unzip it in /usr/src making sure you move
the old /usr/src/linux directory out of the way first, then cd into
/usr/src/linux and do:
	make xconfig  (or make menuconfig if you're not running X)

Select the options that you need.  If you don't know what something is, just
read the help for it.  It will usually tell you if you need it or not.  I
usually compile my filesystem support directly into the kernel (ext2,
reiserfs), and just about everything else as modules (like ethernet drivers,
ppp support, etc.).  Once you have that all taken care of, Save and exit.
Then do:
	make dep
	make clean
	make bzlilo
	make modules
	make modules_install

Confirm that everything in /etc/lilo.conf points to the right kernel that
you just made.  The new kernel and System.map will be in "/", not "/boot".
You can move them to /boot though, just make sure you're lilo.conf reflects
this.  I usually duplicate my normal kernel in lilo.conf and call it
something like linux-old just in case my new one doesn't boot.  Make sure
you run /sbin/lilo if you make any changes to lilo.conf.

You can optionally make an initrd image.  You don't need this if you have
everything you need at boot compiled directly into the kernel.  If you have
SCSI though, and compiled your SCSI drivers as a module, you need to make an
initrd image, and add the line initrd=<path to image> into lilo.conf.  To
make it, do something like:
	mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.14.img 2.4.14  (use whatever version
number your new kernel is)

Jay