I'm not running Debian yet, but I will most likely be doing so on my
gateway/router machine.  I run Slackware on the rest of my boxes.  Going from
2.2 kernel to 2.4 kernel for myself I found it was much easier to backup what
I needed to keep, then go with a fresh install.  Reason being was because
there were too many dependencies of the major release differences.

Opinions may vary, but that is mine.

Shawn