On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 tclug-list-request at mn-linux.org wrote:
> Who are the big domain name registries?
>
> My wife is looking to register a domain name for an organization that
> she belongs to and needs to gather some cost info.
>
> I suggested Network Solutions, Are there any other main registries?

If she wants a geographical domain name, such as xyz.minneapolis.mn.us,
and she or her ISP is able/willing to provide DNS for the new domain, it
may be possible to register the domain free of charge.  I applied for such
a domain recently, but have not received word back yet.  The registration
procedures for US domains are currently in a state of flux;  the US domain
registration web site was moved from http://www.nic.us/ to
http://us.neustar.biz/ within the last week.

Otherwise, I've always had good luck with DomainDiscover.com.

Joel