Quoting Scott Dier (dieman at ringworld.org):
> Sadly, they make it appear that its UMN's problem that one of the
> schools.  Also, WCCO used it to freak people out by claiming that
> identity theft and other incidius things will happen to people.

This is just FUD and crap. You can make a wireless network harder to penetrate
then, hmmm, lets say someone going to your postal mailbox, getting all your
cancelled check and stealing your identify that way.

Sheesh... Any idiot can take open your postal box, it takes someone with some
brains to crack your wireless network.

> This assumes people are stupid enough to use 'dumb' service providers
> for the rest of their real life activities.  Perhaps we need to be
> fixing that instead of our WLANS, eh?

Users will always be "dumb". Unless someone enlightens them. Thus that is why
Nate and I started the TCWUG.

> Anyhow, I propose that people try contacting both WCCO and sanction and
> try and get the TCWUG (www.tcwug.org) list out there to normal users, to
> keep these 'security professionals' (who go onto other peoples networks,

Security professionals who just show the weakness of a technologies (be it wlan,
OS, applications, etc) or an exploit WITHOUT a fix/patch/workaround are just
plain dumb. These people are not security professionals, they pseudo-black-hats.

Real security professionals have the skills to demo the weakness, but they also
have the skills to prevent or make it near impossible to exploit the weakness.
At the very least, to log the when an weakness is being exploided and to limit
the damage caused.

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500