It's very doubtful that you'll have to worry about inetd or xinetd under
RedHat.  The standard config for this is usually acceptable to most users.
Unless RedHat has changed it since 7.1, the ipchains configuration is
located in /etc/sysconfig/network/ipchains.  This is where you will want to
open or close network ports.  This file just contains rules for the
firewall, one to a line, exactly as you would type them by using the
ipchains command, except you give only the options to the command (the
startup script will provide the rest).  You could use ipchains-save to
create this file as Mike suggested, but I prefer to edit it by hand.  That
way you can include comments in the file about which ports you're opening up
and why.  Just be aware that if there are any typos in the file, the
ipchains command will fail for any mistyped rules.  Also, after changing
this file, you will either need to reboot, or execute "service ipchains
restart" to reload the rules from the config file.

Ipchains is easy to understand if you have even just a small amount
knowledge of nteworking and firewalls.  The manpage for ipchains is a good
place to start.  You might also want to read the IPCHAINS-HOWTO, available
at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html.

Good luck!
Dan Churchill
----
The views expressed in this message are those of the sender, and do not
represent in any way the views or positions of Honeywell or its affiliates.