Timothy Wilson <wilson at visi.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just downloaded 2.4.14, but rather than go through each config option I'd
> like to duplicate my 2.4.9 configuration. I know about 'make oldconfig' for
> configuring a kernel, but I don't know if that will work for different
> kernel versions or what I have to do to make it work. Any hints?

In case you're not using Debian, just copy the config file over.  It's
<directory you untarred linux>/.config.  On my machine that's
/usr/src/kernel/linux-2.4.10/.config.  That or when you create the
configuration, use the Save to Alternate file and Load from Alternate File
options to use another file.  This allows you to keep a record of the configs
you've been using.  I haven't run into any problems copying config files
across kernel versions as long as I run make menuconfig or xconfig once on the
file, just to make sure all the options are set.

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe | jpschewe at mtu.net