Oh hey I remember this. There's a problem (sort of) with devfs where the
ide probe doesn't see the ide-floppy until it's explicitly poked. I used
keep a device node around just so I could read a sector off into
/dev/null. That would cause devfs to notice that there *is* something
there and that it should make a node for it.

Supermount though... I never touched the stuff though it's probably
depending on devfs to get it right first.

Joshua b. Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
http://www.greentechnologist.org