Just a couple of tidbits for you Opera fans. It looks like Christian Westgaard and the Opera-Linux team are going for the gusto. As you probably know, the current stable build of Opera for Linux is 5.0, and there has been a 5.05 'TP1' (technology preview) available on the www.opera.com site for some time. Recently, to my great surprise, I was given two different 5.5beta builds to try out, but then today, something else..

Today, we received Opera-Linux 6.0beta builds for testing... it looks like the project is moving along very nicely. With any luck, Opera for Linux will achieve parity with the Windows version in the not-too-distant future.

I'm of the mind that most of us don't need anything like M$ Word to write our letters and notes, but we all need a browser the caliber of Opera or M$IE to enjoy our web experiences to the fullest. Please support Opera! A slick, robust, viable commercial browser for Linux is still (IMO) more important than a port of MS Office or a new version of StarOffice. Say Mozilla if you like, but I still don't see the Mozilla team offering one-on-one support to John Q. Enduser.

On a side note, Sharp is preparing to release their Linux PDA in the next several months.. it will come stock with Opera as the browser. Full story on www.theregister.co.uk. Too bad it's going to be a little pricey.

Disclaimer: I am a member of the Opera-Linux Beta testers program. For my participation in the program, I have received a complimentary Opera-Linux user license, as well as access to new builds before the general public.

Bill NotGates