|On 12 Nov 2001, Ben Lutgens wrote:

|> > AFAIK, this is for operating samba as a domain controller, and
|only works
|> > when you change your password through windows. If you update your unix
|> > password, your samba password isn't updated.
|>
|> Correctamundo.
|
|But this does not make any sense, if i have a win95 workstation and i have
|a samba PDC then all the user accounts are in the smbpasswd file, why then
|would it then change the unix(linux) password without changing the
|smbpasswd file. Would that not cause quite a bit of confusion not to
|mention the hassle of having to change the password twice?
|
| -munir

No.  That is backwards.  If you change your *nix passwd, smbpasswd is not
kept in synch.  The two are independently maintained after their initial
creation.

I understand that winbind is supposed to keep you from needing a smbpasswd
file, but I haven't tried it yet.  It is in the latest samba release, but I
am still running the release before that.