On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 07:18:45AM -0600, Lorry Lee Strother wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 10:42:44AM -0600, Jim Crumley typed:
> >
> > Anyway, are you sure that your config is getting read?
> >

> No.  It doesn't do anything I said in my config file, that's the problem.
> When I run wmbiff I even explicitly state to use my config file (even though
> I shouldn't have to) by running wmbiff -c ./.wmbiffrc and still it does not
> work.  I don't know if wmmail has a similar command; I couldn't find one.
> My config file for wmmail says to check my popmail every 5 minutes, beep if
> there is new mail, and start mutt if I click on it.  None of those things happen
> so, no I don't think it is reading the config.  My wmbiff config file says
> basically the same thing, and I know it is not getting read because it lists my
> mailbox as "spool".  Since wmmail doesn't put a label on my mailbox, I don't
> know if it's working or not until I wait 10 minutes and nothing's happened even
> if I know for sure there is mail in my box.  Making the file (I don't think)
> is not the problem.  I just edited the sample one so it should work.  I've
> tried putting it in various directories, since the man page does NOT ever tell
> you where to put it, or even what to name it.  I read it five times and I
> couldn't believe none of that was mentioned anywhere.  It didn't even say some
> vague thing like "do the usual thing" like I have seen some ultra-useful pages
> say.  So I don't know what else I have to do to get it to work.

OK, you're using Debian, right?  If you are using testing or
unstable than I think the following is corect - it may be a bit
off for stable.  I'm pretty sure that your config file for wmmail
should be placed at ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMMail.  To test and make
sure the file is being read, put a blank file there and start-up
wmmail from an xterm.  It should crash and give you some nice
error messages.  If it doesn't crash, let us know what version of
Debian and wmmail you are using.

If if does crash, put you "real" wmmail config in the location
above, and see what happens. Also, you might want to take a look
under /usr/share/doc/wmmail - the info there seems more useful
than the man page.