> Have to ask. And distro of Linux work on these?

taken from www.linux.sgi.com...

Currently, only Indys have a working XFree86. Other machines boot -
but only via serial console. These are: Indigo2, Challenge S. At
this time the Indigo and O2 are still not supported. But some
developers have stated that they are trying to fix this.

so basically, yes, but imo it's not worth giving up the graphical
goodness of irix for a paltry console connection. Hardhat is one of
the only distros I know of, it's very old and based on Redhat 5.1,
and a complete pain in the ass to install (even on an indy).

timothy r. lupfer       tl at assimilated.org
Familiarity breeds contempt--and children.
                -- Mark Twain