I'm curious why so many users have trouble with hardware
detection/configuration and goofed-up fstab files?  I'm using Mandrake 8.1,
maybe it's isolated to this distro, but depending on my acutal IDE chain
setup (currently: IDE 0=HD (linux) master and CDRW slave (IDE 1=HD (Win2k)
master and DVD slave)) Linux does not currently add the correct devices to
the fstab file.  It opens device cdrom when I insert media in the DVD.  On a
prior intallation, I had no secondary HD, the DVD was a master device on IDE
1 and it worked perfectly.  I've included my fstab for those interested.  My
questions are:  Shouldn't the CDRW show up as both hdb and scd0 pointing  to
cdrom2.  (I thought CDRW's needed both a hdb and scd0 for read/write
purposes) And should the DVD be listed as hdd pointing to cdrom?  And lastly
is devfs responsible for this behavior?  As a newbie I find these hardware
issues the most troubling.  Thanks...

/dev/hda1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,exec,codepage=850,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0