Aye-

     SGI does have some strangeness(es) to it's OS, not the least of which
is nsd, SGI's interpretation of what named should be and do.  I'm not even
gonna bring up mediad, but suffice to say, many a tape drive with robotics
has been on the losing end of that one.  I agree, restart the nsd, if
you've already rebooted, feel free to drop Jer a line, and see what he
thinks.  I will say one other thing, in my experience with some SGI OSes,
if you admin from teh files, you must do the changes for a specific file
from the editor, SGI has a REALLY nice desktop administration tool suite,
but if you use taht in conjunction with the tools, at least in 6.3, you
used to get linuxconf like results sometimes.

                    Just my 2 cents, cause that's all I've got,

                              mbutler

> what am I missing here?

Probably nothing, I had the same problem on my indy (as has everyone
else that I know who's toyed with irix), which troubled me for days
until I just decided to HUP nsd... and voila, it worked.

timothy r. lupfer       tl at assimilated.org