On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Carl Zeilon wrote:

> OK, this all seems correct.  in /proc/ide/ide0/hdb I find several files.
> "model" shows iomega zip 100 atapi.  "driver" shows ide-floppy version .97.
> "media" shows floppy.  Trying to access the zip still shows an error "mount:
> special device hdb4 does not exist"  Remember, if I have a disk in the drive
> at start up, it operates properly.  There must be some program running at
> start up that fudges this up.

what is the exact mount command that you are using?
in dmesg do you get any errors concerning the zip drive at bootup time?
something about hdb4 seems fishy to me, did you try to mount just hdb?
and lastly how is you ZIP drive connected in you conputer: please specify
cable type, master/slave setting, location on cable(middle, end or
standalone)

hdb usually means primary slave, why would you put the zip drive there? it
degrades the performance on the primary master quite a bit, try a
different position

 -munir