Of course nothing's simple with M$....any help would be appreciated.

Is there an emergency rescue disk utility for Win XP?  I know that
Win2K had it.  Does WinXP have an application to make boot disks?  I
know that the W2K install CD has the makedisk.exe application to make
4 boot disks....does WinXP have that as well?  I can't find it on my
install disk.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm quad-booting with WinXP, Win98, Red
Hat Linux, and SCO UNIX.  I run Linux, XP, and 98 all off the NT boot
loader, and it works wonderfully.  Yesterday, however, I was
defragging Win 98 with Norton Speed Disk from the Systemworks 2001
CD.  The defragger messed up Win98's boot record somehow so that if I
select Win98 from the NT boot loader menu, I get the horrible insert
system disk error and 98 won't load.  WinXP and Linux still work fine
though.  This happened to me a long time ago and the only way to fix
it is to reinstall Win98.

That's where my problem is....it's never recommended to install Win98
after installing Windows NT/2000/XP.  The only way it works while
still preserving the XP data is by reinstalling 98 and then rebooting
with Windows NT boot disks and running the emergency rescue disks to
fix the boot record so 98 and NT can load.  However, XP doesn't seem
to provide any kind of boot disks nor any kind of emergency rescue
disk.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Do I just use the CD?

Here's my resource for installing Win98 after WinXP:
http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=8312

One thing I did do was I copied my bootloader files onto a
disk....maybe this is all I need to restore after installing Win98 to
get XP to work again or is there more?

reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q101/6/68.asp

bootloader files I copied to a floppy:
boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com
Bootsect.dos
Bootsect.lnx (this is for registering my Linux boot record with the
NT Loader)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leif Hvidsten
Metro-MN CCOP
E-mail:  mailto:hvidsl at parknicollet.com
Phone:  (952) 993-1535
PGP ID: 0x3626E2CD
Key Fingerprint: 21C2 286E 8FAF 25D1 9356  923A 0D05 6DE8 3626 E2CD

PRIVACY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain business confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If this e-mail was not intended for you, please notify the sender by reply e-mail that you received this in error.  Destroy all copies of the original message and attachments.