"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> wrote:

> How do I fix this?  The only card I have installed is a TV card and a
> Geforce2 in the AGP slot.  Otherwise, everything else is onboard.
> Normally I wouldn't care, but the system locks during my Mandrake
> install.

First off, it looks like you might have two sound cards.  If one is
onboard, you can probably disable it for the duration of the install.  If
you don't need USB right away, turn that off too.  Video adapters don't
need IRQs very often (the only time I've needed that enabled is when I use
OpenGL/DRI), so you can probably disable that as well.

I don't like how modern motherboards pile up devices on certain irqs.  I
have at least two IRQs free, yet I have four devices on IRQ 11..  Strange.

Also, make sure that your BIOS is configured to throw Level interrupts,
not Edge.  Edge just sends a pulse down the IRQ line, which the CPU/Kernel
can miss if they're busy doing other things (like handling some other
interrupt).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   An Elephant: A Mouse built