It's a:
Dell Dimension XPS T700r
Pentium III 700
512 MB Ram
IDE 0 disk 0 - Western Digital 20 gig, 7200 rpms
IDE 0 disk 1 - nothing
IDE 1 disk 0 - CD/DVD-ROM, by Hitatchi (sp?)
IDE 1 disk 1 - CD-RW, by Sony
PCI - 3com 3C905C-TXM NIC (for LAN)
PCI - 3com 3C905C-TX-M NIC (for WAN)-- not used at the moment
PCI - Creative Labs 'something' Live!
AGP - Hercules/Guillemot 3D Prophet 32 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 256 compliant)

Running a test on my RAM using the memtest program you recommended, its
about 50% done after 30 minutes.

I can't imagine I have bad sectors on my hard drive as I can install 6.1
fine.  It doesn't recognize half my system, but the files install ok and the
machine starts (no X or anything fancy though).

I lost the site (looking for it now), but I found something from the Red Hat
'install' maining list archive that mentioned needing to pass ide parameters
to the kernel.  The failure always happens right when the installer needs to
write to the disk.  Any ideas on that?

I don't need any of the files on the disk, so any avenues involving
completely wiping the disk are A-OK with me.

Thanks for the direction.

David