At my company, one of the Citrix admins said it costs $7000 per server,
which allows for about 15 concurrent users.  More licenses can be added
(for $), but she said it doesn't scale well past 15, so if we need to
support more than 15, we put up another box.  Not sure how many CPUs or
memory is in each said box.

For preserving access to Windows apps, I'm more inclined to go with
Netraverse's Win4Lin Standard Server Edition (NSSE).  Netraverse says it
will handle about 13 users per CPU (so if you have a quad-cpu box you can
support 52 simultaneous users), and costs $2300 for 25 concurrent users.
Plus, you need to have the Windows 95/98 licenses, but since most major
vendors won't sell you a box without a copy of Windows, the workstation
covers that requirement.  Netraverse also makes a Tarantella-based client
that can be used on Windows clients thats $179 per seat.  (With Citrix,
the client software is free, regardless of platform.)  25 seat @ $179 is
about $4500.  Add that to the $2300 NSSE server, and for $6800 you have a
system that can support 25 users instead of a $7000 system that only
supports 15 users.  But the hardware costs may even that out a bit, not
sure.  However, if you can have linux/x-terminal clients, then you don't
need the Tarantella client and the associated costs.

At my company, we're going to a new billing app next year that everyone
will access using a Citrix client. I'm trying to use that opening to
suggest that we carry the idea to its logical conclusion, and run
x-terminals on the users' desks which then connect to servers running
each app, much like what Largo, FL does. The hard part is that our
Intranet uses NTLM authentication which means it only works with IE; and
most users think email was invented with Outlook, and using anything
different is too scary.  Interestingly, in looking for ways to overcome
these hurdles, I discovered that M$ makes versions of Outlook Express and
IE for Unix, specifically for HP-UX and Solaris.  (Here comes the
punchline...)  Man, they are worthless pieces of software.  They're both
buggy as hell, crash frequently, and would get you a failing grade in any
programming class.  And it's clear MS doesn't understand the 'unix way'
of installation (of course, we knew that!).  To top it off, neither seems
to have any concept of how X windows works; I could never get either to
run on one machine and display on another.  Cynics might argue that these
are just MS's attempts to "show that Unix doesn't work as well as
Windows", but what it suggests to me is that they have a lot of
not-very-bright programmers.

Petre Scheie

[TCLUG] linux VAR in Twin Cities: