On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Tim Lupfer wrote:

> > I used the Western Digital EZ-Drive utility to partition the disk.
>
> If I'm not mistaken EZ-Drive is likely the problem, I've heard
> numerous people complain of this same problem, and I believe the
> EZ-Drive software itself states that it is not linux compatible.

The purpose of EZ-Drive is to allow a larger partition for Windows than
the BIOS of older systems permits.  Linux does not really need it, as
long as enough of the hard drive is visible to the BIOS to let the
system boot (the /boot partition).  I have installed Slack 7.1 and Slack
8 on a 486 with EZ-Drive with a little work.  But if you don't need a
large Windows partition then you can do without EZ-Drive, and life will
be simpler.

Glenn McDavid
mailto:gmcdavid at winternet.com
http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid