> Sorry about not responding via the list, (and I missed some earlier
> messages). John you were right. Suse won't help unless I pay them, and it
> took quite a few e-mail messages from them before they just plain said
> that.
>

> I am reading the online manuals, and I'm going to keep a list of the
> different files and directories that get updated through YAST and YAST2, so
> I can track what is happening there. I have the internet connection working
> so I can get online with the Linux machine, but the IP addresses things
> just will not accept changes through YAST, so I guess I do have to do it
> directly with the files. I'm a little worried that I'll mess something up,
> but I have no files on the machine, so if that happens, I'll start all over
> again. Can I download Red Hat and Debian free from somewhere onto a Windows
> machine via DSL, so I can burn a CD of the OSs, and use them on the Linux
> machine?
>
> Marc

A couple of things to be aware of with SuSE. Most of the configuration
parameters edited with YAST/YAST2 are stored in the file /etc/rc.config This
file is included at the start of all rc.d/init.d boot scripts. You can edit
this file from YAST or YAST2 look for an option "Edit configuration file".
Its near the bottom of the YAST main menu and in the System section of YAST2.

In this file look for the IFCONFIG_# (Where #=0...3). These correspond to the
parameters for ifconfig when the network rc script is run. There used to be
an issue with YAST ignoring any other entries when you activated DHCP. I
haven't seen this behavior since 6.2 but that doesn't mean it didn't come
back. One other thing I just thought of while typing this is that check that
the NIC is actually active in the hardware section. If its not nothing you do
in the basic network setup will be used.

If you want to email me your rc.config file off-list I'll be happy to take a
look at it.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com