>     Exerpt from http://www3.us.postgresql.org/features.html
>
>     Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) for highly scalable
>     concurrent applications:
>         * Readers do not block writers and writers do not block readers.
>         * "Better than row-level locking."
>         * Various row and table level locks are available as well.
>
>     Detail found at
>     http://www3.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/user/mvcc.html

"Better than row-level locking" sounds like marketing spin to me.

Just in case it's not already known to everyone reading, MVCC nor
row-level-locking are the best in all cases.  Both add overhead above and
beyond standard multi-reader/one-writer page level locking.  If your app
doesn't make up for this by gaining more concurrency, then it will run
slower and/or take up more disk space.  For example, a single user
application will certainly not gain anything from using any kind of
concurrency control mechanism.  Additionally, MVCC is geared toward
applications with more readers than writers.  Each write requires the data
to be copied and thus writes take a long time.  If you have more writers
than readers, then you are likely to not be served well by MVCC.  However,
it is cool that PostgreSQL provides the MVCC option.  (Trivia niblit: Object
Design's ObjectStore also offers MVCC.)

Mike Bresnahan