> I have had this exact problem!  In my case, it was the IDE zip drive that
> was causing the problem.  You need to change the BIOS to "none" instead of
> "autodetect".  I would agree with the other respondents as well, be sure
> your jumpers are set right (esp. that you have master or single set
> correctly.).  If you have any removable media on your IDE channels such as
> the already mentioned zip drive, change the BIOS settings.  Let us know how
> it goes!

I am not really sure what the problem was. It appeared to have been in the
BIOS though. After screwing up the system trying to get it working I had to
reinstall. I lost some data in the process. After formatting and reinstalling, I
was left with the exact same problem. I didn't have a ZIP in the system either.
Just the two new drives on the ATA/100 card, and one HDD on the primary
IDE, and one CD-ROM on the secondary IDE.

After an hour of messing with the BIOS the dang thing started working. I think
the trick was messing with the boot order of my devices. It was set to the
following:

1 - Removeables
2 - CR-ROM
3 - HDD
4 - Network

That is the order I had both before and after I had the problems. The BIOS let
me 'enter' the HDD entry and under that there were two options. The first said
something like 'ISA/PCI cards' and the second was hard drives. I swapped the
order and the system booted up with GRUB. I didn't even know that those
options existed. You are the first person I have come across to have a similar
problem.

Good luck,