On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 11:00:45AM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:19:15PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> >I would really love to start supporting Linux on the corporate desktop. One
> >way or another we need to deal with the end user; better to do it on
> >something closer to our terms. :)
>
> You're a better man than I am. People don't _want_ to learn a new OS and
> apps unless they are geeks like we are. There will be one question in thier
> mind "Why can't I just use M$ Word?" because 99% of the corporate planet
> knows how to use that.
>
> I say et M$ have the desktop. And let's concentrate our energies on the
> server end. Specifically in middleware, and cross-platform file serving.
> There's good money in this area without all the HUGE overhead of supporting
> massive amounts of individual machines and non-technical users who can't
> understand why they need to "mount" a floppy or cdrom and don't want to
> understand it either.

And I bet nobody here _REALLY_ wants to do tech support for regular
users. Having worked for 3 months in Windows tech a few years ago I know
that it would be hopeless. How are you going to tell them what to do when
they have trouble setting up a dial-up connection in win95?

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>