Well, my VAIO has apparently seen too much use (it's almost two years
old), and the cable between the base of the laptop and the LCD screen
appears to have gone bad. I've been having trouble with it for a while,
but wedging it at a certain angle always got it to keep working.  :)

Sony won't ship me the ribbon cable to install myself (hafta ship it to
them), and from what I've been told it takes 3-4 weeks to get stuff back
from them. Does anyone happen to know either a place where I can buy parts
for these things, or a local repair shop that works on them? (Laptop's
long out of warranty, so no worries about voiding anything..)