On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 07:15:41PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > I'm going to do a fresh install of Mandrake 8.1 on a dual boot system with
> > WinXP.  I've read that making a 7mg /boot partition makes it easy to use
> > the Windows boot.ini file to choose operating systems.
>
> you don't need that, with recent versions of LILO, and a BIOS made in the
> last few years.
> the way it works (if I remember correctly..) is that you make your /
> partition the location of the linux MBR; then use dd to take the first 512
> bytes of that, and make your boot file from it.
> so basically:
> dd if=/dev/hda2 of=linboot.img bs=512 count=1
> then copy the resulting 512-byte linboot.img file to your windows partition,
> and add an entry in your boot.ini file for it. I seem to remember actually
> doing this myself, at some point; and it was really simple and quick to do.
>
> at that point, Linux becomes one of the options on your (NT|w2k|xp) boot
> menu.

That of course depends on what os you boot mostly from.

I "migrated" my wife to Linux with two things: I showed her that a locked-up
browser need not to take down the whole box and I put the default boot
option to "Linux", so "Enter" or "wait" meant Linux... or another reboot.

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4