ON Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 07:20:11PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > > Hitler!  http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/
> >
> > Oh sheesh.  Can we at least agree to find a few other dead dictators and
> > freaks of history to pick on?
>
> Constantine! (Bastard who burned down the Library at Alexandria, thus losing
> much of the accumulated knowlege of the ancient world. Hitler exterminated
> people; Constantine exterminated *knowlege*).

I seem to recall that library being knocked over repeatedly.

The consensus on Google is that the library at Alexandria was burned, maybe
accidentally, in a tactical harbor fire under Julius Caesar in 48BCE, sacked
by Christian zealots under the emperor Theodosius in 391CE, and whatever was
left was looted or destroyed by Muslim invaders in 640CE.

--
Michael