> I just came back from looking as OS X at MEI.
> Its looks great, seems to work great and has bunches of apps.
>
> Please set flames to low - I am just looking for the big picture here...
> Can I run Linux stuff on this somehow?
	supposedly console stuff should work reasonably well (running in
term windows). it's probably about as POSIX-compliant as many commercial unices.

> Will X apps work with this somehow?
	you'll need an X server; even if you're running X on it.  X can't
grab the screen, since OSX's own display system controls that. Some
applications have been ported to the native OSX display system, tho.

> I know, I could dig on the net and work this out but I am just looking for a
> quick Y/n?
	the overall answer is 'Sorta kinda sometimes'.

	My take on OSX is that technologically, it's wrongheaded. The
display system beats everything that other unices have; but they put in on
top of their own bastardized *NIX, for the sake of backwards compatibility
with old Mac apps. it would be a lot better if the display system were
ported to *BSD and linux, and generalized to allow different window
managers, etc.
	from a marketing standpoint tho; it's a great idea. it has the
backwards compatibility, so everyone's old favorite office applications will
still run (and the updated versions will run natively); but it has forwards
compatibility with the freenixes, for when we take over the world. :)
	once companies port their applications to run natively on OSX (and
who doubts that Adobe will make Photoshop run on OSX?); it's not that far
from there to the freenixes.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer