Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> wrote:

> My perspective is Linux is much cheaper then Windows. Even if you pay
> for a distro you are starting out ahead. Add the virus resistence,
> stability, reliability, and security out of the box. Linux should be
> have a better TOC then Win2k.

You mean TCO?  Total Cost of Ownership?

TCO is based largely on how much administration each system requires, and
how frequent that administration is.  The less stable a system, or the
more babysitting it requires (*cough*Oracle*cough*), the greater it's TCO.

Probably one big thing that brings up TCO is re-installing.  When a
Windows box gets flaky, one of the first ideas is that the system should
be re-installed.  Linux and Unix systems tend to have more developed
logging and administrative tools, so problems can be identified and fixed
better and hopefully faster (IMHO).

For desktop deployments, central administration has got to be a positive
for Linux installs.  It's a shame they aren't more common.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   !pu dekcuf sreenigne