On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, duncan wrote:

> Hello-
>
> Im going to be setting up an FTP server, and am aware that ftp has a
> history of bad security.
>
> I have looked around at ftp servers, and pure-ftpd seems to be pretty
> good... however, im not sure.

When i setup my ftp server most people advised me to use ProFTPd, its
really nice, secure and it uses an apache-like conf file

> Any one have any best practices or good advice to help ensure decent
> security on the box?

for standard FTP my recomendation is to allow anonymous read-only access
only, for uploads users can use SFTP

> SFTP?
>
> Its a linux box, and folks will be connecting (maybe doenst matter) with
>   windows.

in your anonymous ftp you can have a copy of psftp (search for putty on
google) psftp is a sftp client for windows.

 -munir