Here's how I know:
Oops. Your system's FD_SET() has a hidden limit of 1024 descriptors.
This means that the qmail daemons could crash if you set the run-time
concurrency higher than 509. So I'm going to insist that the concurrency
limit in conf-spawn be at most 509. Right now it's 2048.

I tried modifying the code so it would let it compile with my value, but it
crashed qmail once I hit 510 for concurrency.  This is a well known issue on
the qmail mailing list.  With kernel 2.2, it was possible to find a canned
patch for the kernel, apply it, recompile, and you were good.  However, with
kernel 2.4, I can't find a patch.  Also, apparently the patch does not play
nice with certain scsi drivers, and since you have to recompile everything,
including modules, I'm SOL since my main servers that I run it on have a
raid card for which the driver source is not available (thanks Dell).

Jay

http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

Just say NO to Product Activation!