Shawn <fertch at mninter.net> wrote:

> What happened was when I reloaded my machine, I picked both the ipchains
> and iptables packages.  Somehow I think that neither got compiled into
> the kernel.  I can modprobe it, and then when doing an lsmod|grep
> ip_tables it shows up.  for the time being, I also put the modprobe
> ip_tables in my rc.local file to get it to work.  I still get the error
> message that it can't find the filters table.  Any ideas on what more I
> can do to get this to work?

IP Tables is very modular, and the module for the filter table probably
isn't loaded.  Try also doing `modprobe iptable_filter'.  If that doesn't
work, something probably didn't get compiled.

If you want to go back to IP Chains, you have to remove all of the IP
Tables modules first.  The kernel only allows you to have one IP filtering
system loaded at once (with good reason!)  Do `lsmod' and look for
anything like ipt_*, iptable_*, and, obviously, ip_tables.  Once they're
all removed, `modprobe ipchains'.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   What would a chair look
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   like if your knees bent