> Well, it's an auction.  Generally it runs til noon or so, with the
> computer stuff being towards the end.  There's other stuff too, like
> de-commisioned cop cars and confiscated stuff from drug busts and the
> like.  Occasionally you'll find better computers that have been seized
> than what our department throws out, but it's not common.

occasionally there are some humorous moments; like at the '99 auction, they
sold off a Cyrix 200, with a couple of boxes of garbage Windows software,
plus some surge suppressors, plus a 'monitor',  for $300.

the 'monitor' was a Wyse dumb terminal. :)

I'd hate to be the guy who bought it... betcha it's still sitting in boxes
somewhere because he can't figure out how to plug the 'monitor' in. ;>

at the same auction, I bought a stack of 486/25's and /33's... still have
some of them. raped the memory out of most of them, and ended up with a
few usable firewalls.

$10 for 3 486/25's is a pretty good deal, even if one or two of them go
belly-up later. (dead power supply and dead video... wasn't worth fixing
them).

there were a couple of 486/66s that went for $60/ea; but the buyer later
told me there were 32MB SIMMS in them... (for 1999, a really good buy).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises