Bob Tanner wrote:

> http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47-68-86-1721_STO60851,00.html

> MS paying people for editorials?

Ya sure you betcha, probably millions every year in advertising.  And no one
would put it past MS to pull a few hundred thousand $ in advertising from a mag
for publishing something they didn't like.

<ramble>
I don't think this kind of article really hurts Linux.  After the last couple
years of good press most of the people I know look up to Linux.  They see it as
something that is more stable but just not as user friendly.  The user friendly
issue is getting better with every release and soon it won't be nearly the big
deal it was just a couple of years ago.

I had one of the sales guys at work come up to me the other day asking if the
webmail server was down because he couldn't get in that morning to check mail
before work.  I told him it wasn't and that I had checked my mail before coming
in and it worked fine.  His response "Yea but you are using Linux at home and
that always works."  He didn't understand that the OS I was using at home had
nothing to do with it, but he sees Linux as being better than Windows.
</ramble>

I hear things like this a lot and not just from geeks.  Public perception is
changing direction slowly, much like a steamroller.  I would hate to be the one
standing in front of the steamroller trying to stop it.

SG, O.S.D.

--

Yadda, yadda, yadda