On or about 30 May 2001, Bob Tanner is alleged to have said:

> What is with all the negative press on linux lately?

Dunno, kinda seems like it.  On the other hand, Thomas Jefferson said
"I do not take a newspaper nor read one more than twice a month and I am
infinitely the happier for it." :)

> MS paying people for editorials?

Frankly, I don't have as big a problem with M$ and exploitive business
practices (and I have a big one there) as I do with them and content /
distribution channels / net access.  The Eastern bloc countries didn't have
as firm a foundation for censorship in place, ever.  There's a fine line
between sales propaganda and "let's control what people think" when you're
as large and visible as they are.

One thing, though.  The writer says

	"Many in IT feel that Linux is the
        heir to Microsoft's 32-bit Windows offerings and will soon surpass
        Windows in volume shipments, but I'm not as sanguine about Linux's
        prospects for mainstream business, except in specific cases."

I don't know what he means by "mainstream business."   I tend to read that

	"I'm not as sanguine about Linux's prospects for being used by
	people who don't really *need* a computer to do their job,
	except in cases where they do."